Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Is he going to call????

A few weeks ago I made friends with Mr Chas, a teacher at the local school that I walk through to get to the pool. Last week he invited me for breakfast with the other teachers but I was in a rush to meet the other volunteers and kids on our outing - but I told him I'd visit at lunchtime that day.

On arrival he invited me into the office and made a proposal I couldn't refuse. A teacher's assistant position helping with English lessons a few times per week. The school would pay $2 per period taught. I told him I couldn't accept the $2 because I was here as a volunteer - but he insisted. I gave him my phone number and then sent a text message to my boss in Brisbane telling her to watch out because I'd found a job with a VERY competitive salary!!

I also bragged to anyone who'd listen that I was becoming a teacher just like the rest of the McMahon clan, and told my boyfriend that if he joined me in Africa I could provide a lovely mud hut for us to live in, and that 'sugar mama' could support him, now that I'd found paid employment!

Alas, I still haven't heard from Mr Chas!!! I haven't taught a single class, and haven't earned a single shilling. I hope he's just having phone troubles. I hope that one day when I walk past the school he'll call out 'Rebecca!! THERE you are. We've been hoping you would pass by...we REALLY want you to be a teacher here but haven't been able to contact you!!!'. As opposed to his boss saying 'Mr Chas, why on earth would you offer a strange mzungu (with THAT haircut I don't even know if it's a man or woman!) a job at our respectable establishment!! DO NOT CALL HER!!!'.

We'll see... but it'll serve me right for counting my chickens before they hatch.

No comments:

Post a Comment