Sunday, September 20, 2009

I am WOMAN, hear me roar

About 2 weeks ago a little Tanzanian girl approached me at a local restaurant and asked if I was a boy or a girl. When I replied that I was a girl, she said 'but you look like a boy!'. I thought 'kids say the darndest things!' and thought nothing further of it.

Yesterday when I was working in the newborn nursery, Nanny Grace told me that I should stop cutting my hair because I look like a boy. She said when she first saw me she did not know if I was a man or a woman.

Nothing like being told you look like a man first thing in the morning!

I already hated my haircut...now i am DESPERATE for it to grow back!!!! haha. Oh, the vanity. Vanity aside, I was very impressed with her honesty though. Although many Tanzanian women wear their hair very short, now I know that for mzungu women, it's just not the done thing!

1 comment:

  1. I think you look gorgeous no matter what! But I can understand with Caucasian features you may be more confusing with short hair ..

    Wonderful to read your blogs, glad you're keeping us in the loop!

    ReplyDelete